May 24, 2011

reduce, reuse, recycle

I am not ashamed to admit that most of my fabulous ideas are actually borrowed ideas.  This one came from our family doctor whose daughter just so happens to be in my preschool class.  Small town, means small world.

In an effort to reduce our use of plastic baggies and to help prevent fruit, and other foods, from getting smashed in lunchboxes,  I have purchased 4 oz mason jars.  


Since lunchbox making is one of my most dreaded chores, but I have become mighty fast at it, this makes the chore a tad bit more pleasant.  At first, I was afraid that the kids would drop their jars during lunch and I would get a nasty gram from their teachers, but after several months and even little 3 year old fingers, not one jar has been broken.   Phew!

I put fruit, yogurt, cereal, macaroni and cheese, cheese cubes, crackers and whatever else I can fit into a 4 oz jar.

The kids feel like the have a classier lunch and I feel less like boring lunch packer.